Thursday, March 6, 2008

SF MOMA

We've been in Mountain View for the last few months, and I had been seeing signs for the Olafur Eliasson: Take your time SF MoMA exhibit. I'd been planning to go but we've been busy with our startup, so we hadn't gotten to the city very much.

Anyway, one day I decided we should plan a trip to the city, for maybe the following weekend or something like that. I checked out the MOMA site and found out that the exhibition closed that day! So off we went right away to check it out before it was gone.

Highlights:
- A fun way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Nice architecture and some beautiful pieces of art. They had a nice Jasper Johns, a favorite artist of mine. I love the quiet, cool hallways of an art museum.
- This particular weekend was also WonderCon, which added a fun eclectic element to the streets: ninjas, Gandolf, and Storm Troopers crossed the streets with us.

Negatives:
- Don't go to an exhibit on the closing day. I guess this should have been obvious to me, but I didn't think about it. The lines were terrible: there was a line to get into the museum (~15min) and then another line to get into the exhibit (~30min). It reminded me of the wait we had when trying to get into the Colosseum in Rome 2 years ago. The problem with this is that once I actually got to see the art, I was not just enjoying it but constantly judging it by whether or not it was actually worth the wait. That puts it at a much higher standard than I usually place art exhibits. And probably at too high a standard for this exhibit.
- The neighborhood around the museum was a bit quiet (it was a weekend). Quiet city centers on weekends are a hallmark of most big cities. New York is an exception so I guess I shouldn't hold other cities to it, but I do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home